Scotland travel resources & links
I didn't do that much preparation for visiting Scotland - most of my reading was focused on Iceland. The New Penguin History of Scotland was an excellent broad-ranging history; Scottish Medieval Churches helped provide context for churches and abbey ruins. (For subsequent reading, see my Scotland and Scottish history book reviews.)
The Lonely Planet Scotland Guide was the only travel guide we really used during the trip.
These are sites I looked up after the trip, out of curiosity, rather than as preparation beforehand.
- has information about the Kingsgate footbridge
- the Ruthwell Cross
- Smoo Cave
- has its own web site!
- John O'Groat's Ferries
- run the one day Orkney tour we did
- Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust
- Caerlaverock and Martin Mere
- the John Snow Society
- Camilla and I put this site together after our trip