Is Windows a virus?
No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses (viri?) do:
So it seems Windows is a virus, but there are some fundamental
differences: Viruses are well supported by their authors, run on
a wide range of hardware, have fast, compact and efficient program
code, and tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.
- They replicate quickly -- okay, Windows does that.
- Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system
as they do so -- okay, Windows does that.
- Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk -- okay,
Windows does that, too.
- Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable
programs and systems. Sigh... Windows does that, too.
- Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too
slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. Yup, that's with
So, Windows is not a virus.